Friday, January 14, 2011

Arrivederci America!

With much anticipation, the military style strategic packing my father demanded and guided me through proved to be worthless when my backpack to carry on was 11 kilometers when the limit is 8k. I ended up having to check two bags then costing as much as a whole other suitcase would have, meaning I could have brought so many more clothes and shoes!!!!! But that's alright, all the more reason to test the skills my mother raised me to live by and SHOP! The trip then took a turn for the sappy, when my mother held on to me gently weeping. How could I not tear up in that situation, even good old G-squad shed a few. He also proceeded to text me, "You are so special" and "I already kissed your picture 5 times". The flight was delayed for about an hour and a half because of some volcano eruption in Italy, so the group had plenty of time to get to know each other and simply wait for the vacation of a lifetime. And yes, I do keep referring to this experience as a vacation no matter how mad it makes my father that he is paying for it and expecting me to be learning in the classroom. The plane was not full by any means so we had plenty of room to stretch out and sip on the free wine as we flew among the clouds. I have told myself all year that I am going to put my picky eating habits aside and try everything over here, but I was not about to start my new outlook on the culinary world on a foreign airline with the meal being served was a choice between fish or veal. Yuckyy. The yogurt and Milano cookies for breakfast on the other hand, fully satisfied my ordinary taste buds. We landed in Rome at 9:15 am, which is 2:15 am Chicago time. After getting luggage, taking the shuttle, and getting checked into our apartments, I didn't get to call my parents on what looks like a 50 cent cell phone from 2001 until 5:45 am Chicago time. The apartments are nothing like I expected, they are big!! There is plenty of space and an excellent view from the 7th floor! Down side, the elevator holds maybe about a max of 2 people and takes about a year to operate with 3 doors to open and close. So, stairs it is! It's exhausting as hell, but hopefully that will shed a few of the loaves of bread, wheels of cheese, pounds of pasta, and gallons of gelado I am about to consume for the next 4 months. I am delirious with multiple emotions consisting of sleep deprivation, excitement, nerves, and hunger. We have orientation the next couple of days before classes start next week, so hopefully I will be looking less like an American idiot and more like a European goddess! Until next time.... ciao a tutti!

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, you said your backpack is 11 kilometers... I think you meant kilograms.... unless your backpack is longer than 8 miles, I think you used the wrong unit of measurement!

    ReplyDelete