Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lost in Translation

People are always smoking any where and every where. I am starting to get used to it as I slowly develop the black lung purely from second hand smoke. I was really immersed into the Italian culture as we were sent on a scavenger hunt with nothing but a map, 13 pictures of places to find, and our dignity that was lost in .5 seconds as we scurried about Rome looking like the Asians of America. We stopped an older woman who did not speak a word of English and watched as she waved her hands around and shouted unfamiliar words at us. Although not helpful at all, she was very kind. We stumbled across some of the most amazing sights I have ever been in front of. There was an Italian man dressed in old fashion Roman warrior attire and as we passed by, he held out a crown saying, "Rome princess Barbie!" Being blonde, tall, and blue eyed isn't the best camouflage around here, or so I'm told. I am already stepping outside my comfort zone when I ate rabbit for lunch! Before I am given any praise of bravery, I should mention that I had absolutely no clue that I was eating rabbit at the time. My whole table thought we were wining and lunching on some good old fashioned pasta and chicken. It wasn't until after the meal that the other table told us it was rabbit. You can only imagine my response to this piece of information. I'm glad that I was unaware because then I never in a million years would have gone near those small bones that I had to keep picking out of my mouth. Now I can say I have had rabbit! And also that it tastes just like chicken! It is only the 2nd day and I am already becoming familiar with the area, which is a relief. However, I still have SO much yet to explore! Until next time.... Ciao a tutti!

No comments:

Post a Comment