I have died and gone to heaven, literally. I experienced the single most amazing moment in my life. A group of us went to go for another visit to the Vatican and paid 5 euro to go up to the top. There was a choice of elevator or walking and I didn't quite understand why someone would pay extra for the elevator to go inside, until I got inside. There was a huge winding stairway we trudged up only to climb some more, and more, oh and some more. We came out to a roof top right beside the dome of the Vatican. I then entered inside the dome looking down into the Vatican. I was mesmorized by the beauty and detail of every inch of this place. If I thought this journey couldn't be any more satisfying and that I had stair-mastered my way to the top, I was surely mistaken. We entered another series of crazy staircases to prevail through. Some were slanted sideways, others were zig-zagged, and some were so tiny that I thought about my 6'5" brother and my claustrophobic mother who would never last through this maze. Doubt was raised in my mind, but quickly vanished when I ended up outside at the very tip top of the dome looking out across the entire city of Rome. The breath was taken out of my lungs, and the pain in my unstable knees fleeted. I actually gasped at the idea of where I was standing and what I was looking at. It truly and whole-heartedly was the greatest moment that I can’t wait to share with my family when they visit! We later discovered it was 600 steps we accomplished to the top!
Earlier that day we shopped around the market that is outside our apartment building every sunday. It was another opportunity for me to practice my bartering skills for the rest of my friends to benefit from because they are too nervous to do so. I don't think I have seen my father's face light up so much when I told him how I talked down the price for the scarf I purchased. I guess I am my father's daughter. I lingered from tent to tent simply looking at the vast collection of goods and multiple times the vendors would approach me speaking english. I couldn't help but think, "Am I THAT obvious?" Here I am in a sea of native Italians walking about and engaging in the same activities and they single me out in a split second. It almost seems that I am meeting more Americans than Italians in Italy. Everywhere I go I am running into other study abroad students from all across the United States. This is a little bit more comforting to me because I am still trying to grasp the way Italian men behave. It is also comforting to my mom who replied, “I’m so glad you aren’t attracted to that.” Apparently my parents wouldn’t be at peace with me dating someone across seas and speaking another language, I couldn’t imagine why… It never ceases to amaze me how strong they come on. Because naturally I wish that all men stared dead into my eyes, have no sense of personal space, and hoot and holler in public places. SO desirable. Until next time… ciao a tutti!
No comments:
Post a Comment