Off to the most expensive city in all of Europe, London Town! We dove right into the underground and got it all figured out, including the lingo, “Mind the Gap”. We took the tube everywhere we went, such as our hunt for Chipotle. It wasn’t until about 10:30pm that we got in to our hotel, so it was 30 minutes until close. After I gave a brief pep talk to the group that we really could make it, we jumped on the tube and tried to find our way. The street name was nowhere to be found on a map or a sign. I asked someone walking by if they knew where
Chipotle was and he replied, “Bloody Hell, isn’t that a sauce?” Things were not looking up from here. As 11 o’clock neared we gave up hope and settled for an outdoor cafĂ©. We people watched to find everyone very well dressed as well as very drunk. Leicester Square was happening on this Thursday night and we instantly knew we would come to love this city and were already looking forward for our day to start tomorrow.
First thing in the morning we went straight to Buckingham Palace to see the changing of the guards. It was more crowded than Disney World on a hot Saturday afternoon in the middle of July. I couldn’t see much at first so I just stood on my tippy toes, stuck my arm as high as it could go in the air, and snapped a picture. I inched my way up as much as I could to enjoy the Chia Pet figures putting on a show in front of this beautiful palace.
Westminster Abbey is the church that Prince William and Kate Middleton will be married in just a few short weeks. We went inside this historic building and toured all of the tombs, chapels, and sculptures of Royalty dating back to the 11th century. This is where coronations of the Kings and Queens occur. I felt like Royalty just standing in it! After that we made our way to the most famous pedestrian walkway, also known as Abbey Road. As we approached the final destination I wondered what it would be like. If it would be roped off as a tourist attraction or just be a little side street that no one crossed paths with. None of the above. It is a full on busy street with cars zipping through and helpless tourists waiting on the sidewalk for a break in traffic to hop out and snap a quick pic.

It was quite comical to watch and we had a lot of fun trying to mimic such a revolutionary photograph. After a few good laughs and what we hoped, a few pictures to turn out, we headed to the infamous Harrods department store. I aimed wondrously around the different levels with eyes wide open at each piece of merchandise that I would feel guilty buying even if I were Paris Hilton. We did, however, purchase cupcakes and headed over to Hyde Park and relaxed in the sun. For dinner we were recommended a restaurant equivalent to California Pizza Kitchen.
Although I am a big fan, I wasn’t too enthused to eat pizza on a weekend out of Italy. Good thing I didn’t listen to my instincts because I had an excellent meal called the “Acapulco” and it surely was a Mexican fiesta in my mouth. MmMmMm. Later we made our way to O’Neil’s, a pub that students go to. We were very turned off by the frisky club promoters on the streets and refused to fall into their schemes.
Saturday morning the first thing on our agenda was CHIPOTLE. Oh, how it was ever so glorious and worth the wait. Things I noticed about Chipotle abroad: there is a brown rice option, which I tested out and give a thumbs up for. Also that the portions are not as hearty as in the U.S. which I also applaud because after I polished off my burrito bowl I didn’t feel like curling up in a ball and waiting to explode. Claire happened to have a surprisingly interesting conversation with the manager when she got up to get more water and it went a little something like this:
Manager: Where are ya guys from?
Claire: Chicago.
Manager: Me too! What part?
Claire: The northwest side.
Manager: Oh yeah, what Chipotle do you go to?
Claire: The one on Touhy.
Manager: Yeah, I opened that one. Where do you go to school?
Claire: U of I.
Manager: Yeah I opened that one too, the two story one on Green Street.
Claire: Oh my God, we go there all the time!
Manager: They just sent me over to London to open up this branch.
Well how about that. This guy apparently opened all the Chicagoland Chipotles. I should have gotten his number… After we got our fix to our Chipotle addiction, we headed over to the Camden Market. This is definitely the most amazing market I have seen with a street that stretches far filled with amazing shops and stands. My sister’s voice ringing in my head about her getting her eyebrow pierced here only made me more sketched out about the whole situation. She got her eyebrow pierced...on the streets of London...by God knows which character. I even thought about getting a fake eyebrow ring to freak out my parents.
The last sight I was eager to see was St. Paul’s Cathedral, where Princess Di and Prince Charles were married. In all of the 900 churches I have stepped foot in, St. Paul’s definitely stuck out. It is right up there with St. Peter’s. It was breathtaking the size and beauty of it. We climbed up to the Whispering Gallery and the very top to look out across the skyline of London. Claire and I were so happy to have the perfect climbing gear on, skirts and flats! My dogs were barkin’ fersurree, but it was totally worth it. That night we saw the play, “Million Dollar Quartet” and had a blast singing along to all the hits of Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins.
London airport was stacked with super strict security that rooted through my whole bag. This man was rather rude to me and I did not particularly like him. He let me through with a fork, in which I could potentially stab him with, and I was about to, but he couldn’t bare the thought of letting my face wash see another day. I chalked that one up to a loss. Until next time… Ciao a tutti!
yeah some chick with a face full of piercings pierced my eyebrow.... but not on the street, we went up to her "office" with beads hanging from the doorways to separate the rooms.
ReplyDelete